Welcome Week Set for Aug. 19 - 22
By Sheryl E. Taylor
The University of Houston-Downtown’s (UHD) Office of Student Activities will host Welcome Week events during the first week of classes for the fall semester, Aug. 19 -24.
Welcome Week offers new and returning Gators the opportunity to engage with various campus services and resources, departments, student organizations, staff and faculty, and fellow peers as well as participate in a variety of fun activities as they settle into college life.
Welcome Week aims to…
- Enhance the UHD student collegiate experience and promote school spirit and pride.
- Help students feel welcomed on campus.
- Engage current students in a tradition that will encourage them to stay connected to the university for years to come.
- Explore curricular and co-curricular activities, resources, and services that support a successful onboarding experience to the University.
Each morning of Welcome Week will begin with Coffee with Veterans Services from 8 a.m. to noon. The Office of Veterans Services assists veterans, reservists, guardsmen and dependents of disabled or deceased veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.
During the week, students will be encouraged to engage and learn how to connect with this office and other campus departments, including:
- Desserts With the Dean of Students Office
- Meet your Student Government Association
- Center for Latino Studies Opening Celebration
- Consent Karaoke
- Build-A-Gator With Student Activities
Sports & Fitness will host a Sports & Fitness Frenzy on Monday and Tuesday, a Student Life Bash on Thursday and welcome table at various times throughout the week, and much more!
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Interim President Dr. Antonio D. Tillis. Annually, UHD educates more than 15,000 students; boasts more than 51,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s, nine master’s degree programs and 16 fully online programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.