UHD Update on Coronavirus - Feb. 13
The University of Houston-Downtown continues to monitor updates related to the Coronavirus (recently renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization). Today, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported one case in Texas.
UHD’s Office of Emergency Management has created an informational website with details on the virus, its symptoms, and how it is spread. Likewise, it contains links to local, national and global health agencies, including the CDC and World Health Organization.
While the Coronavirus health risk is low, the CDC recommends preventative actions to avert the spread of viruses such as the Coronavirus. These include:
- Wash your hands frequently, using soap and water, for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (with at least 60 percent alcohol) when soap and water are unavailable.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- While handwashing is recommended as the primary method to prevent respiratory viruses, hand sanitizer is available throughout campus, including many labs, offices and classrooms.
The University of Houston System is currently prohibiting travel to Wuhan, Hubei Province China (where the first case of the virus was reported) and non-essential travel to China outside of Hubei Province.
UHD will continue to provide updates as new information is made available. Community members should also consult the Office of Emergency Management’s site for information and websites for the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Texas Department of State Health Services.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz. Annually, UHD educates more than 14,000 students; boasts over 50,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s and eight master’s degree programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.