UHD May and Summer 2020: S/U Implementation and Calendar
The S/U option will work under the same expectations as in Spring: faculty initially assign a course grade using letter grades, post them in BB for students to review and opt-in to the S/U in writing, and then submit official grades that include S/U only if a student notifies the faculty member to opt-in to the S/U option.
However, the periods are shorter due to shorter terms and limited time between sessions. Please check the calendar below for dates or go to the official Registrar calendars for each session posted here: https://www.uhd.edu/academics/calendars/Pages/default.aspx
Also please watch for Registrar grade entry instructions during each session.
For additional details, please see the FAQ for faculty on grading issues.
Reminder of key steps:
1. Faculty will complete all class grading according to the system described in the class syllabus. When initially determining grades, please do not consider the S/U system.
2. Faculty will post all final course letter grades in their class Blackboard shell gradebooks no later than the date for the relevant session and notify students that they are available to look at (see calendar below).
3. Students will look at grades and have 24 hours to notify their instructors in writing (email or BB options established by the instructor) that they want to choose the S/U option. (Students may notify faculty of this request any time during the class session but grading strategies should not change.)
4. Faculty will keep track of student requests for the S/U option—students must request this explicitly in written form (e.g., email or via BB options established by faculty) by the relevant deadline for their summer session (see calendar below). NOTE: students do not need to notify faculty if they want to keep their letter grade and not avail themselves of the S/U option.
5. Faculty will enter grades as normal for the registrar via the myUHD grade roster within the dates for the appropriate session (see calendar below). Faculty will have be able to enter letter grades and S/U options. Faculty should use the S/U only for students who have requested it and the S/U must be based on the following:
For Undergraduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
· S: Satisfactory = C or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation.
· U: Unsatisfactory = D or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Some degree programs may count a D as acceptable for the purpose of degree completion or graduation - students should consult with advisors to determine this before making a decision.
For Graduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
· S: Satisfactory = B or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation
· U: Unsatisfactory = C, D, or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Grades of "U" cannot by themselves be used as a basis to dismiss
UHD Calendar for Grading for May and Summer 2020
For full calendars, please see the Registrar site at