UHD Library Obtains Civil Rights Programming Grant
The UHD Library is proud to announce that it has been selected to receive the "Created Equal: America's Civil Rights Struggle" film set and a $1,200 programming stipend.
The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History is leading this initiative to mark the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, which the National Endowment for the Humanities has developed as a special project and part of its Bridging Cultures initiative.
Grant components include:
- "Created Equal: America's Civil Rights Struggle" film set featuring "The Abolitionists," "Slavery by Another Name," "The Loving Story" and "Freedom Riders."
- $1,200 stipend to host conversation-based public programming focused on the themes of the film set.
- A robust site-support notebook both in print and online, with tools for planning public conversations about the themes in the films; a guide for each film annotated to identify short clips for programming use.
- Access to the "Created Equal" website hosted by the NEH (available in September 2013).
- An orientation webinar for site coordinators and scholars/facilitators. Participants will engage with a scholar and learn about interpretive materials, public relations, and logistics.
UHD Library has committed to developing three public film-screening and discussion events focusing on themes in the films over the next three years. Public programs related to the film set will include participation by humanities scholars. These programs will be offered free-of-charge and open to the public.
"Shawn Anderson was the project Coordinator and the primary developer of the application, and she also has the support of Jovanni Lota and Chris Stempinski," said Pat Ensor, executive director of Library Services. "This grant fits in perfectly with the UHD Library mission, and it will allow us to reach out to other interested institutions in the community to increase collaboration and support. Great work, all involved!"
For questions about the project, please contact Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.