UHD IT Department Offers Tips for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month and UHD IT Department has helpful tips for faculty and staff to stay cyber safe. Just think STARS
- Do not reply to e-mail or phone requests for confidential university or financial information from outside resources, unless they are from a previously authorized contact.
- Keep your software current. Having the latest updates to your operating system and software applications are the best defenses against viruses, malware and other online threats.
- Automate software updates. Many programs will automatically connect and update to defend against known risks.
- Any external device, such as a flash drive, can be infected by viruses and malware. Use your security software to scan them.
- When working from home, or any other remote location, use a VPN connection to establish a secure connection to the UHD network.
- When setting up accounts with outside services, always use your @uhd.edu email address. This will help prevent others from impersonating you in an effort to obtain access to these services and websites.
- In the event your email account is compromised, make sure minimal information is exposed to someone who gains access to your account. Take time on a regular basis to manage the messages in your email account.
- UHD provides Identity Finder software to help prevent identity theft by locating sensitive and confidential data.
- All data in use at the university must be classified. Depending on its classification, data may have required protections according to university policy. Knowing how to appropriately protect confidential, sensitive and mission-critical information is everyone's responsibility.
- When traveling with a laptop or other mobile computing device, make sure to keep the laptop properly secured (i.e. hotel room safe) when it is not in your possession. Confidential or sensitive information should not be stored on the laptop unless it is encrypted.
The IT Department will have a booth near the cafeteria from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29, to hand out flyers with security tips, pens and candy.