UHD Hosting International Literature Festival Oct. 14 - 16
The University of Houston-Downtown will host the International Literature Festival Oct. 14 - Oct. 16 featuring guests from Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Peru, Spain and Israel. The schedule is as follows:
Friday, Oct. 14
Venue: UHD, A346
- 5 p.m. - Conference by Miguel Angel Zapata, PhD, Hofstra University
- 6:30 p.m. - Book signing by authors Federico Diaz-Granados, Xavier Oquendo, and Elizabeth Quila
Saturday, Oct. 15 at UHD
Venue: UHD, Robertson Auditorium, third floor.
- 9:30 a.m. - Press conference
- 10 a.m. - Reception
- 10:30 a.m. - Welcome by Paul Mandell, UHD assistant professor of Spanish, and opening by DoVeanna Fulton, dean of UHD College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 10:35 a.m. - Poets and panel: "Israel and the U.S." moderated by David Medina
- 11:35 a.m. - Poets and panel: "Argentina, Colombia and Ecuador" moderated by Elizabeth Quila, president of Casa Cultural de la Americas
- 12:35 p.m. - Special guest: Poet and literary critic Luis Garcia Montero moderated by Elizabeth Quila
- 1:30 p.m. - Literary monologues by local artists
Sunday, Oct. 16
Venue: Contemporary Arts Museum
- 11 a.m. - Poets and Panel: "El Salvador, Mexico and Spain" moderated by Miguel Angel Zapata
- Noon - General forum:" Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, and Spain" moderated by Federico Diaz-Granados
- 1 p.m. - Closing by Elizabeth Quila
The three-day festival is sponsored by the Center for Latino Studies, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Department of Arts and Humanities, and Casa Cultural de las Americas.
For more information, contact Raquel Chiquillo at 713-221-8009.