UHD February Town Hall: 'Harvey: 6 Months Later'
On Feb. 26, the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) and ABC13 presented the town hall, "Harvey: 6 Months Later."
UHD's first town hall of 2018 explored the city's recovery from the historic storm and the future of Houston. Students, faculty and staff gathered in the Welcome Center's Tour Room for the event. Moderated by ABC13's Chauncy Glover, the participating panelists included:
- Claudia Aguirre, CEO of BakerRipley
- Cynthia Colbert, CEO of Catholic Charities
- Houston Fire Chief Sam Peña
- Houston Police Department: Executive Assistant Chief Matt Slinkard and Assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite
- Kevin Hanes, FCO, FEMA
- Jet Hayes, Deputy Director, Texas General Land Office
- Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz, UHD President
"We wanted to reflect on what we learned; what we did right; and what we can do better moving forward," said Muñoz. "Great universities host great and important conversations like this one. We were honored to have representatives from law enforcement, the fire department and community-assistance organizations who were on the front lines during Harvey and now."
Representatives from the Houston Housing Authority and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) were on hand to provide information and answer questions.