UHD Celebrates 'Poem In Your Pocket Day'
Three UHD Community Members Share Original Poems
By Sheryl E. Taylor
No stranger to joining a national awareness movement, the Gator Community celebrated National Poetry Month by sharing their original and favorite poems via UHD’s Instagram, Twitter and Facebook social media channels.
And now in recognition of National Poetry Month’s, ‘Poem In Your Pocket Day,’ three UHD Community members share original poems:
Robin Davidson, “To Speak Rivers”
UHD Professor of English & 2015-17 Houston Poet Laureate
Jhon Ortiz, “The Flute (power of words)”
Sports & Fitness Trainer/Gator Alumni
Shay Tatum, “Black Woman”
Even with social distancing, here are a few ways to participate:
- Select a poem and share it on social media using the hashtag #pocketpoem.
- Simultaneously participate in the Shelter in Poems initiative, and select a poem that brings you solace during this time of distance and solitude. Share what it means to you and use the hashtags #pocketpoem and #ShelterInPoems.
- Record a video of yourself reading a poem, then share it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or another social media platform you use.
- Email a poem to your friends, family, neighbor, or local government leaders.
- Schedule a video chat and read a poem to your loved ones.
- Add a poem to your email footer.
- Read a poem out loud from your porch, window, backyard or outdoor space.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz. Annually, UHD educates more than 14,000 students; boasts more than 51,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s and eight master’s degree programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.