UHD Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
The University of Houston-Downtown's Center for Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (CSDEI) is spotlighting Hispanic Heritage Month with film screenings, lectures, discussions and other events.
A list of events are as follows:
- Sept. 14, 15: Screening of documentary "A Class Apart: A Mexican American Civil Rights Story" focused on the landmark Supreme Court case addressing discrimination against Mexican Americans; noon, Sept. 14 in Room A300 White Oak Room; noon, Sept. 15 in Girard Street Building's Milam and Travis Rooms
- Sept. 20, 21, 22: Panel discussion hosted by CDSEI and Mi Familia Vota: "The Hispanic (Youth) Vote(r) in Texas - More Important Than Ever," a conversation on civic engagement and voter participation among Hispanic voters; noon, Sept. 20 in Girard Street Building's Milam and Travis Rooms; noon, Sept. 21 in N-1099; noon at UHD-Northwest (room to be determined)
- Sept. 26. 27, 28: Screening of documentary "The Bronze Screen: 100 Years of the Latino Image in Hollywood." This acclaimed film explores the role of Latinos in Hollywood from 1900 to the present. A discussion will follow the film. noon, Sept. 26 and 27 in A300 White Oak Room; noon, Sept. 28 at UHD-Northwest (room to be determined)
- Oct. 3, 4: "Speak Out Against Bigotry" - The campus community is invited to share their thoughts and feelings on bigotry, particularly as it relates to the Hispanic community; noon, Oct. 3 in A300 White Oak Room; 3 p.m., Oct. 4, in A300 Houston Room
- Oct. 5, 6: Discussion on "Moving Forward in the Face of Bigotry and Oppression." The UHD community is invited to engage in a dialogue on how America can move forward in the face of bigotry and oppression. noon, Oct. 5 and 6 in the Girard Street Building's Milam Room
- Oct. 10, 11: "Latinx LGBTQ Roundtable Discussion." This event focuses on the needs and concerns of UHD's Latinx LGBTQIA+ community members. 3 p.m., Oct. 10 in S370; noon, Oct. 11 in S370
- Oct. 12: Screening and discussion on film "The Other Side of Immigration." 11:15 a.m., UHD-Northwest (room TBA)
- Oct. 13: Hispanic Pride Celebration. 11 a.m., One Main Building's third floor hallway
For more details on these events, contact the Center for Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.