The Food Trucks are Here
Hungry? New Mobile Eateries to Appeal to a Variety of Tastes
By Mark Kramer
It’s lunchtime on Monday. University of Houston-Downtown faculty, staff and students briskly walk toward the College of Sciences and Technology (CST) building when the aroma of fresh food catches their attention, reminding of them of the latest campus dining options.
Say hello to the new food trucks on campus.
The mobile eateries, located adjacent to the north entrance of the CST building, began serving the UHD Community last week. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, a rotation of food trucks will hold court on campus, offering campus community members convenient lunchtime selections. A schedule of food trucks is available on the UHD Dining Services website.
The featured vendors encourage the UHD community to follow and tag them using the social media handles below. Likewise, faculty, staff and students can view menus and other information on these respective social media pages.
- Wokker - Hand crafted Asian dishes and combined with old fashioned Southern Cooking, focused primarily on Texas BBQ and comfort foods. (@WokkerHTX)
- Miss Patty’s Seafood Wagon – Louisiana style seafood baskets, sandwiches, seafood tacos, chicken baskets and chicken sandwiches. (@MissPattysWagon)
- Waffle Bus – A creative take on waffles, including waffle burgers, fried chicken and waffles, among many other dishes. (@TheWaffleBus – Twitter, @thewafflebus – Facebook)
- Burger Joint – Made to order burgers, along with your choice of hand-cut fries or bacon-parm fries. (@burgerjointhtx)
- Coreanos - The perfect harmony of savory Korean BBQ with the familiar flavors of Mexican cuisine. (@coreanoshtx)
- D'Lish Curbside - Creators of the TEX-ified poutine Style fries and gourmet Burgers. (@DlishCurbside – Twitter, @DLisHCrubside – Facebook)
- Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers -- Serving up delicious and old fashion frozen custard and burgers. (@FreddysUSA)
- Happy Endings – Serving delicious Asian-fused beef hotdogs. Other specialties include Bulgogi fried rice and kimchi fries. (@HappyEndingsHTX)
- Mobile Mai's – Vietnamese cuisine providing an authentic and delicious Vietnamese dining experience (@MobileMaisHTX)
- Muiishi Makirritos -- A mobile sushi truck serving Japanese food with a twist. (@MuiishiTruck)
- Tu-Go Kitchen -- Chinese cuisine brought to you hot, fresh, and absolutely delicious. (@TuGoKitchen)
- Yoyo’s Hot Dog – Hot dogs with a variety of toppings of your choice, but also featuring Siracha sauce, Curry Ketchup or cream cheese. (@yoyoshotdog)
“We have received positive feedback from the university community,” said Mary Torres, director of University Business Services. “Many students that I visited with last week were excited to see the food trucks were on campus and many said they would return there for lunch.”
Students, faculty and staff may pay for the food truck meals with the GatorCash feature on their university ID cards, by cash or through credit or debit card.
“I would like to encourage the university community to take the opportunity to visit these vendors and support the program,” Torres said. “We hope that this new addition to our campus will become so successful that we could look at the possibilities of expanding it in the future.”
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) is the second-largest university in Houston and has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974. As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive, four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates approximately 14,000 students, boasts more than 66,000 alumni, and offers 45 bachelor’s degrees, 12 master’s degrees, and 19 online programs within four colleges: Marilyn Davies College of Business, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Public Service, and College of Sciences and Technology. UHD has one of the lowest tuition rates in Texas.
U.S. News and World Report ranked UHD among the nation’s Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Applied Administration and Best Online Master’s Programs in Criminal Justice, as well as a Top Performer in Social Mobility. The Wall Street Journal/College Pulse ranked UHD one of the best colleges in the U.S. for its 2024 rankings, with notable distinctions: No. 1 for diversity (tied) and No. 3 for student experience. The University is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, a Minority-Serving Institution, and a Military Friendly School. For more information on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit uhd.edu.