SGA Hosts 'Walk to Vote' Nov. 1
BY: Mary Ann Cozza
The UHD Student Government Association (SGA) is hosting "Walk to Vote," an event to encourage student voting, from 1-2 p.m. Nov. 1 on the South Deck.
Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to gather on the South Deck to hear guest speakers Houston Mayor Annise Parker and City Council Member Ed Gonzalez, along with UHD President William Flores, speak about the importance of voting, especially for youth. Following the rally, attendees will walk together three blocks to 1001 Preston.
According to the group, the event was organized in response to student voter turn-out being at an all-time low. In an effort to education and empower students to vote, UHD student organizations have competed against one another since the beginning of the Fall 2012 semester to see which could register the most voters. To date, over 1,000 students have been registered and are now eligible to vote in the November elections.
The event will proceed as follows:
- 1:00-1:15 p.m. - UHD Greek Steps
- 1:15-1:25 p.m. - UHD Cheerleaders Performance
- 1:25-1:30 p.m. - UHD ROTC and the Presentation of Colors
- 1:30-1:35 p.m. - UHD President William V. Flores Speaks
- 1:35-1:40 p.m. - Council Member Ed Gonzalez Speaks
- 1:40-1:55 p.m. - Houston Mayor Annise Parker Speaks
- 1:55-2 p.m. - UHD SGA President Ivan Sanchez Speaks
- 2 p.m. - Walk to the Harris County Administration Building at 1001 Preston for voting
For more information, contact SGA President Ivan Sanchez at email@example.com or visit