President's Message: Newly Appointed Provost Search Committee
Dear University Community,
As you are aware, the University of Houston-Downtown is engaged in a search for its next Senior Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs and Provost.
A new search committee is in place and will work alongside the consulting firm of Michael Wheless & Associates in identifying top candidates from across the country.
This committee will be chaired by Dr. Jerry Johnson, Assistant Vice President for Research and Sponsored Programs. Members of this committee are as follows:
- Liza Alonzo, Director of UHD Alumni Relations
- Karen Kaser, Program Director of UHD’s Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences in Applied Administration
- Justo Manrique, Associate Dean in the Marilyn Davies College of Business
- Lisa Morano, Professor of Natural Sciences
- Vida Robertson, Director of UHD’s Center for Critical Race Studies
- Samuel Santos, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Leigh Van Horn, Interim Dean of the College of Public Service
- Daniel Villanueva, Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Management
- Hisao-Ming Wang, Professor of Criminal Justice and Faculty Senate President-Elect
- Sarah Walker, Associate Professor of Management and Insurance Risk Management
- Fred Williams, Managing Director and Partner of Salient Trust Co.
- Student Government Association President Elect – TBD
I thank these committee members for undertaking this very important task for our institution. The role of Provost is critical for any institution of higher education, and I am confident that the committee will soon identify qualified candidates for this position.
As this search progresses, the committee will keep me informed of its progress and provide updates to the University community on candidate visits and public forums when they are scheduled.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) is the second-largest university in Houston and has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974. As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive, four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates approximately 14,000 students, boasts more than 66,000 alumni, and offers 45 bachelor’s degrees, 12 master’s degrees, and 19 online programs within four colleges: Marilyn Davies College of Business, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Public Service, and College of Sciences and Technology. UHD has one of the lowest tuition rates in Texas.
U.S. News and World Report ranked UHD among the nation’s Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Applied Administration and Best Online Master’s Programs in Criminal Justice, as well as a Top Performer in Social Mobility. The Wall Street Journal/College Pulse ranked UHD one of the best colleges in the U.S. for its 2024 rankings, with notable distinctions: No. 1 for diversity (tied) and No. 3 for student experience. The University is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, a Minority-Serving Institution, and a Military Friendly School. For more information on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit uhd.edu.