15:41 PM

Message to UHD Faculty & Staff: Preparing for First Week of Fall 2020

Dear Faculty and Staff,

The start of the Fall Semester is upon us, and we know that all of you are working diligently to prepare for the first day of classes on August 24. We also hope that you are staying safe and staying well.

As previously shared, UHD will start the fall semester at Step 1-Red and will move to Step 2-Orange on September 8. Complete details on Red status and other steps can be found in the Response Matrix. More than 85 percent of classes this fall are being offered online, with the remaining 10-15 percent of classes being offered in other formats with some on-campus components. Most of the classes with an on-campus component will begin the semester online and shift to their scheduled modality on September 8. However, some classes will start on-campus on August 24, as determined within each department.

If you are designated as a staff member who is telecommuting, or who works partially or fully on campus during Response Step 2–Orange, you should have been contacted by ESO. It is expected that your supervisor has already discussed your work status with you. If you have questions, please speak with your supervisor first, prior to contacting ESO.

As part of our commitment to keeping our UHD community safe, we wanted you to be aware of some important items.

Students on Campus

  • Beginning August 24, limited numbers of students will begin coming to campus, either to attend a class or to engage with specific offices by appointment. Once we move to Orange, all classes having an on-campus component will engage as originally scheduled.

Face Coverings Required

  • Face Coverings must be worn by faculty, staff, students and contractors on campus in all public areas, including common workspaces, meeting rooms and classrooms. If you have other questions regarding face coverings, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions section of the UHD website.
  • Faculty and staff can request that the person they are meeting with leave the meeting or class and return with a face covering. Faculty and staff may also terminate a meeting if UHD Community members are not in compliance with face covering requirements and request a virtual meeting instead.

Entering/Exiting Campus Buildings

  • Faculty, staff and students will enter buildings through specific entrances (View Map)
  • Faculty, staff and students are asked to exit the building through the same point at which they entered.
  • Security Officers will staff each entrance.

Social Distancing

  • Classrooms and designated public spaces, as needed, include signage to ensure social distancing.
  • Please stay at least 6 feet from other people at all times.
  • Follow signs and social distancing markers.
  • Do not gather in groups on campus.
  • Be considerate of others.


As previously announced by Interim President Tillis, faculty and staff parking permits are available for purchase at 50 percent of normal cost. All parking permits must be ordered online. Please verify your mailing address information via PeopleSoft Advantage Self Service (PASS). All permits will be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service.

Cleaning Protocols

UHD is undertaking a range of cleaning protocols, including the following:

  • UHD’s cleaning crews are regularly cleaning door handles, elevator buttons and other high-touch surfaces with a disinfectant approved by the EPA and CDC that is effective in killing the virus. The custodial staff will routinely clean the campus using this disinfectant.
  • Custodial staff members will sanitize classrooms each evening using the EPA/CDC-approved disinfectant and rooms will be stocked with cleaning wipes for daily use by faculty, staff and students.
  • PPE will be provided to staff and faculty within their departments when they arrive on campus for Fall 2020.
  • Departments will be cleaned by custodial staff two times each week and will be provided supplies for area cleaning on a daily basis.
  • Air filters throughout the campus have been replaced, and coils have been cleaned with the aforementioned EPA/CDC-approved disinfectant. Also, HVAC air handlers will be turned on to purge air from each building at least four hours before the class/work day begins.

Thank you for everything you do to support our students.

Best wishes for a great semester!