Message to UHD Students: Update on Fall 2020 Semester
We hope this message finds all of you in good health!
A new academic year is approaching, and UHD is working to ensure a successful start to the semester for all of our Gators.
Recently, you all were notified about UHD’s new Threat Assessment Matrix.This chart is based on Harris County’s color-coded Threat Level Assessment and details the status of campus during this pandemic.
Presently, UHD and Harris County remain at the highest threat level … Level 1 - RED. Campus is currently closed to students and summer classes are continuing online.
The University is following recommendations from regional officials and public health agencies and ultimately responds to directives from the Office of the Texas Governor. As of yet, the Governor has not requested that state universities close or limit classes during the pandemic.
As the fall semester approaches, many of you have questions regarding the status of campus. An announcement regarding Fall 2020 will be made by Aug. 7, and this message will provide details on what to expect should UHD remain at Level 1 - RED or improve to Level 2 - ORANGE when classes start on Aug. 24.
As a reminder, fall courses will be delivered in four formats: online, online interactive, face-to-face and hybrid.
If UHD is at Level 1 - RED …
- Classes scheduled for online will remain online. A majority of online interactive, face-to-face and hybrid courses will be moved online with possibility for a limited number of exceptions. Classes that do not move online—should there be any—will allow for appropriate distancing, and classrooms will be modified to ensure appropriate spacing between students and faculty.
- Students will not be allowed on campus except with limited, pre-approved exceptions from the Provost’s office or the Dean of Students.
- All student services offices will be available online.
- No campus events, student activities, student meetings, conferences and other events will be conducted in person.
If UHD is at Level 2 - ORANGE ...
- Campus will be open and access to buildings will be restricted to specific entrances..
- Classes in all formats (online, online interactive, face-to-face, hybrid) will continue as currently scheduled. Class sizes will allow for appropriate distancing, and classrooms will be modified to ensure appropriate spacing between students and faculty. Face masks will be required.
- Limited campus student services will be available by appointment only to support enrollment and student success. Virtual appointments will continue to be encouraged.
It’s safe to say that 2020 hasn’t been what anyone expected. Still, UHD is committed to your success … and more importantly, your safety.. We look forward to Harris County and the campus returning to full Gator Green!
For more details on the University’s responses to this pandemic, visit the UHD Coronavirus Website and please continue to direct questions to email@example.com. For a complete list of all UHD communications related to COVID-19, please see the COVID-19 Updates page in UHD News.