Message from UHDPD Chief: Spring Safety Tips
Dear UHD Community,
The spring semester is in full swing. I know many of you are focused on classes, projects or your day-to-day assignments. Regardless of your workload, I encourage faculty, staff and students to work together—and with the UHD Police Department—to maintain a safe campus.
Being aware of your surroundings and keeping a watchful eye on your belongings are two simple ways to ensure the safety of yourselves and your property.
UHD has a close knit community, which creates a sense of trust and familiarity. Some of you might feel comfortable enough to leave valuable personal items (phones, laptops, tablets) unattended in public spaces even for just a few seconds. Unattended property can easily be stolen. Even if your property is within your view, it can be a target for thieves. Keep all of your items within your reach while you are on campus.
Here are some other tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t walk or jog alone at night. Find a running buddy to work out with, or partner with a classmate or co-worker to walk to parking lots or garages. Also, take advantage UHD’s shuttle buses for transportation from parking lots to campus.
- Avoid dimly lit areas and short cuts. Stick to well-traveled paths to and from UHD buildings.
- Be alert at all times.
- Don’t wear earphones while walking or driving.
- If you think you are being followed by someone, change directions and find an occupied area. Or, look for the nearest UHDPD emergency call box.
- Don’t overload yourself with books, bags and items while walking.
- Carry personal belongings (purses, bags, etc.) close to your body.
- Keep UHDPD’s numbers in your phone’s contacts list – 713-221-8065 (non-emergency) or 713-221-8911 (emergency).
- Make note of the yellow UHDPD emergency call boxes in parking lots and on campus. It is helpful to know where these boxes are located in the event you need to contact our department’s dispatch office.
And remember, UHDPD courtesy escorts are available to all faculty, staff and students. You can visit the UHD Police Department in N118 to request a security guard or officer to walk you to your vehicle. Or, contact 713-221-8065 (non-emergency) to request a Security Escort. Call boxes also can be used to request UHDPD escorts.
Our university remains one of the safest in the state. By working together, we can ensure that UHD stays on this list and our community remains ready to Finish UHD Strong.
UHD Executive Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz. Annually, UHD educates more than 14,000 students; boasts over 50,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s and eight master’s degree programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).