MBA Students Take Top Spots at International Competition Again
By Sheryl E. Taylor
The Marilyn Davies College of Business’ students in Dr. Anand Pore’s MBA 6216: Capstone Project B course have done it again.
Two of the teams in his course tied for a No. 1 spot in the world and six other teams (out of a total of 13 UHD teams) secured spots in the global top 100 in Business Strategy Game (BSG) simulation. Per the BSG website, a total of 4,347 teams from 251 colleges/universities participated in the simulation world-wide. According to Pore, assistant professor of management and insurance risk management, almost every semester one or two UHD teams have performed in the Global top 100 and for seven out of the last nine semesters one of the teams was tied for the first place globally.
This past summer, seven UHD teams placed in the global 100. For this fall competition, the results are as follows:
Two teams Tied for the No. One Spot in the World
- Company B: Yousef Abuhawas, Asia Al Kakie, Raeda Alawawdeh, Hana Corona Ahumada, Karan Satia
- Company I: Diana Camacho, Ali Dehghani, Melissa Finlay, Tuan Vo Minh
Six UHD Teams Placed in the Global Top 100
- Company AA: Bakytzhan Abishev, Rastislav Bily, Melisah Kungah, Mohammad Siddiqui, Saffeer Sohani
- Company CC: Tara Johnson, Eric Lewis, Jaime Limon
- Company BB: Yesica Abrego, Jason Hill, Julie Ibarra Flores, Jorge Rodriguez
- Company L: Maya Adighibe, Tressa Harvey, Lashondra Warren
- Company K: Ninfa Cruz, Alfonso De Hoyos, Harry Vasquez, Trina Williams
- Company J: Eileen Chavez, Maria Diaz, Jerald Robinson, Adam Schmidt, Ilham Tirmizi
Across the globe, BSG is an online simulated exercise where university students compete in operating an athletic footwear company that produces and markets both branded and private-label footwear. The companies compete in a global market arena, operating in four geographic regions —Europe-Africa, North America, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Interim President Dr. Antonio D. Tillis. Annually, UHD educates more than 15,000 students; boasts more than 51,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s, nine master’s degree programs and 16 fully online programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.