Manufacturer Holds Seminar on Polymers and Coatings at UHD
NETZSCH Instruments is holding a full-day technical seminar on "Thermal Analysis of Polymers and Coatings" on Thursday, Oct. 18, in N602 of the One Main Building.
The seminar is limited to 30 attendees, so students interested in attending should email Wesleyne Greer, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information. The registration fee of $45 is waved for UHD students.
The seminar will focus on low temperature thermal and mechanical properties and evolved gas analysis of advanced materials. The theory of the thermal stability and composition of materials, enthalpy changes, specific heat, transition energetics and deformation of polymers will be covered. Both the strengths and weaknesses of the various measurement techniques will be discussed. Further, the basic theory and technical solutions for gas chromatography, mass spectrometry and FTIR will be presented. Material characterization using evolved gas analysis (EGA) coupled to standard thermal analysis techniques such as TGA/DSC will also be stressed. A roadmap will be given for the selection of the appropriate thermal analysis for the application at hand. Finally, examples for thermal characterization of a wide-variety of advanced materials will be covered. This seminar is for anyone who is a brand new thermal analysis user as well as advanced users who would like to optimize their techniques.
The seminar agenda is as follows:
- 8:30 a.m. - Registration
- 9 a.m. - Introduction to NETZSCH Instruments North America
- 9:30 a.m. - Standards and Regulations for Testing Polymers with Thermal Analysis Methods
- 10 a.m. - Thermogravimetry - Differential Scanning Calorimetry - Simultaneous Thermal Analysis of Polymers for Research, Quality Control and Failure Analysis - Part 1
- 10.30 a.m. - Break
- 10:50 a.m. - Thermogravimetry - Differential Scanning Calorimetry - Simultaneous Thermal Analysis of Polymers for Research, Quality Control and Failure analysis - Part 2
- 11:20 am - TMA (Thermomechanical Analysis) and DMA (Dynamic-Mechanical Analysis) of Polymers
- Noon - Lunch
- 1 p.m. - Evolved Gas Analysis of Polymers , including TGA-FTIR, TGA-MS and TGA-GC-MS Analysis
- 1:45 p.m. - Light Flash & Laser Flash (LFA): Thermal Diffusivity & Thermal Conductivity of Polymers,
- 2:15 p.m. - The New DEA 288 Epsilon - Technical Details and Innovations
- 2:45 p.m. - Break
- 3:05 p.m. - Testing and Optimizing the UV Curing Process
- 3:45 p.m. - Getting more Information by Thermokinetic Evaluation
- 4:30 p.m. - Wrap up & final discussion
Netzsch was founded in 1873 and is a diversified manufacturer of specialized industrial equipment that provides proven solutions for a broad range of demanding industries.