Job Market Asks, UHD Answers
New Undergraduate, Graduate, Certificate Programs Launch Fall 2022
By Laura Wagner
U.S. job openings hit a record high in March, spotlighting the need for workers with the right education, skills, and training to fill those empty positions. UHD is front-running that need with innovative program offerings in Fall 2022 – all geared to educate and upskill students to meet market demands.
Three of UHD’s Colleges will launch job-market-aligned programs in Fall 2022:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Human Resource Management (pending THECB approval) – a credential-aligned approach and the first of its kind offered by a higher education institution in Greater Houston.
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication (MASC) (pending SACSCOC approval) – a blend of organizational communication, public relations, and media communications with a unique community engagement component.
- Bachelor of Science in Health & Behavioral Sciences – Health & Wellness concentration – an approach that focuses on the growing field of health education and services and the increased awareness of the relationship among mind, body, and behavior.
- Bachelor of Arts in Medical Humanities (BA) – a cross-disciplinary offering designed to prepare professionals from a variety of industries with a patient-centered approach to disease and illness.
- Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence (MSAI) – one of only six graduate-level AI programs offered in Texas in this high-demand field.
- Graduate Certificate in Quantitative Analysis and Modeling of Risk & Finance (pending SACSCOC approval) – a focused approach to math and statistics to prepare professionals for actuarial/insurance and risk management roles.
For more information on any of the programs listed, contact the appropriate College.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) is the second-largest university in Houston and has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974. As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive, four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates approximately 14,000 students, boasts more than 66,000 alumni, and offers 45 bachelor’s degrees, 12 master’s degrees, and 19 online programs within four colleges: Marilyn Davies College of Business, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Public Service, and College of Sciences and Technology. UHD has one of the lowest tuition rates in Texas.
U.S. News and World Report ranked UHD among the nation’s Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Applied Administration and Best Online Master’s Programs in Criminal Justice, as well as a Top Performer in Social Mobility. The Wall Street Journal/College Pulse ranked UHD one of the best colleges in the U.S. for its 2024 rankings, with notable distinctions: No. 1 for diversity (tied) and No. 3 for student experience. The University is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, a Minority-Serving Institution, and a Military Friendly School. For more information on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit uhd.edu.