International Education Week Events and Activities
The 14th annual International Education Week begins Monday, Nov. 18, and lasts through Thursday, Nov. 21. UHD, along with the International Student Organization, have prepared exciting events, lectures and activities for students to enjoy. Students will also be able to explore ways they can participate globally and increase their understanding of international issues. UHD's participation in International Education Week is part of Houston Citizenship Month, for which UHD is a proud primary sponsor. Dr. Noel Bezette-Flores, executive director of the Center for Public Service and Family Strengths, is co-chair of Citizenship Month.
The week is a join initiative between the U.S. Departments of State and Education.
Below is a list of the events honoring International Education Week.
Monday, Nov. 18 -
- Information Booth on Student Exchange and UHD History Major, Coat Booth Area, 10 a.m. -2 p.m.
- Lecture by Aileen O'Donnell and Lee Rivers "Creating Scholarship Applications for Education Abroad Grants," Auditorium, 11 a.m. - noon
- International Food Fair, Academic Third Floor Mural Area, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Student Study Abroad Panel Discussions - Panama, Costa Rica, English Language Institute, Auditorium, noon - 1 p.m.
- Information Table on International Education Grants & Scholarships, Coat Booth Area, noon to 1 p.m.
- Lecture by John Linantud "Cuba-Political Risk," N420, noon - 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 19 -
- Sigma Delta Pi Information Booth and Food Sale, Coat Booth Area, 11a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Information Sessions on Upcoming Trips to Ghana and Vietnam, Auditorium, 11 a.m. - noon
- Lecture by Leena Thacker-Kumar "Understanding the Middle East," N420, 11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Indian Henna Art with Rachna Sadana and Students, Academic Building Mural Area, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- International Food Fair, C100, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Lecture by Paul Mandell "Studying Abroad as an Undergrad: Personal Reflections of Costa Rica," Auditorium, noon - 1 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 20 -
- Latin American Information Booth, Coat Booth Area, 11 a.m.- 1 p.m.
- Traditional Korean Music and Dance Performance, Special Events Room, 11:30 a.m. - noon
- International Food Fair, B150, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Information Session on Upcoming Trip to Costa Rica, A405, 2 - 2:30 p.m.
- Information Session on Upcoming Trip to Edinburgh, A405, 2:30 - 3 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 21 -
- Lecture by John Hudson "Queerly Korean: Homophobia and Heterosexism in South Korea," B113, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Field Trip to Canino's Market with Barry Sullender, 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.