Interim President's Message to Students: UHD's Plans for Fall 2020
The start of the semester is just weeks away, and the University of Houston-Downtown wants you to be prepared for Fall 2020.
The ongoing pandemic continues to pose challenges for our region and for UHD. With that in mind, the University is taking precautions to ensure your safety as we begin the semester.
As you may be aware, UHD and the region are being guided by corresponding Response Levels (with Level 1-Red posing the greatest risk to the community and Level 4-Green indicating that the situation has returned to normal). Presently, the community and the University are at Level 1-Red.
UHD is planning to begin Fall 2020 at Level 1-Red and will remain at this status until at least Sept. 7. By Aug. 31, UHD will reassess pandemic conditions in the region and make a decision on next steps for the fall semester. Until that time, we’re here for you. Reach out to your professors, communicate with advisors, and drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are working to provide answers to all of your questions and to support you during an unprecedented time for our university.
What this means for students:
- Most classes that are currently scheduled for online delivery will not change in any way and will continue as planned.
- Most classes that are scheduled in face-to-face, hybrid, or online interactive formats will begin the semester fully online. The on-campus, face-to-face aspects of these classes, as currently planned, will resume once the campus returns to a Level 2-Orange. We hope that we’ll be able to announce a switch to “orange” status early in the semester, but right now, our primary objective is to put your health and safety as the top priority.
- Your instructors will be in regular contact with you via Gatormail starting the week of Aug. 17 with specific instructions on how to participate online in your class during the scheduled class meeting times. It will be important for you to check your Gatormail often to stay up to date with campus news and updates from your faculty members.
- Check Blackboard to see when your class is activated, so you can get more information.
- Contact your instructors or advisors if you have any questions related to Fall 2020 or your classes.
- Please note that the campus will remain closed for the time being, and only students with authorization from the Office of the Provost or Office of the Dean of Students will be able to access campus through the UHD Police Department. Students should check in and check out through UHDPD.
- All student support services will continue operating fully online
This is not the way any of us envisioned the beginning of this academic year. Working together, however, we can keep you and your families safe while making sure you stay on track for a successful semester and ultimately graduation
Stay healthy, and go Gators!
Dr. Antonio D. Tillis
Interim President, University of Houston-Downtown