Groundbreaking for Student Wellness and Success Center set for Nov. 12
- The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) is set to break ground on its newest facility, the Student Wellness & Sucess Center, which will provide enhanced student recreation areas and spaces for numerous student wellness and success initiatives.
A groundbreaking ceremony will be held at 9 a.m., Thursday Nov. 12 at the building’s future site (west of the College of Sciences and Technology Building).The event will be live-streamed on UHD's Facebook page.
The Center will redefine the student experience at UHD by enhancing fitness and recreation on campus while providing Gators with new areas for studying, socialization, and community-building. The building will also feature spaces for learning focused on health and wellness and a demonstration kitchen where students can learn about nutrition.
In 2019, plans for Student Wellness & Success Center became a reality as UHD Alumna and State Rep. District 144 Mary Ann Perez authored House Bill (HB) 1277 during Texas’ 86th Legislative Session authorizing a dedicated student fee to support the project. HB 1277 was approved by state lawmakers. Previously, the University of Houston System (UHS) Board of Regents and UHD students voted to approve the fee for this new facility.
At the groundbreaking, UHS Chancellor Renu Khator will deliver opening remarks and UHD Vice President of Administration & Finance David Bradley will serve as event host.
Special guests scheduled to attend are:
- State Sen. District 5 John Whitmire
- State Rep. District 145 Christina Morales
- State Sen. District 13 Borris Miles
University dignitaries attending the groundbreaking, include:
- Antonio D. Tillis, Ph.D., UHD Interim President
- Jason Smith, UHS Vice Chancellor of Governmental Relations
- Dr. Eric Carl Link, UHD Senior Vice President for Academic & Student Affairs and Provost
- Dr. Meritza Tamez, Dean of Student Affairs
- Timothy Rychlec, UHD Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management
- Richard Sebastiani, UHD Director of Sports & Fitness
- Rhonda Scherer, UHD Sports & Fitness Associate Director
- Alan Modrow, UHD Student Government Association President
The building’s design is overseen by SmithGroup along with general contractor Vaughn Construction. Representatives from both organizations — Tom Vaughn of Vaughn Construction and Clint Menefee of SmithGroup — also will be in attendance.
Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2021 with anticipated completion in 2022.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by Interim President Dr. Antonio D. Tillis. Annually, UHD educates more than 15,000 students; boasts more than 51,000 alumni and offers 44 bachelor’s, nine master’s degree programs and 16 fully online programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service, Sciences & Technology; and University College).
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.