Gilman International Scholarship Program Spring and Summer 2017 Applications Open
The U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is open for students participating in credit-bearing study abroad programs and international internships. Spring 2017 applications and summer 2017 early applications are both due by 11:59 p.m., Oct. 4. Advisers have until Oct. 11 to certify spring 2017 applications and summer 2017 early applications.
Gilman scholars receive up to $5,000 to apply towards their study abroad or internship program costs. The program aims to diversify the students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions to which they travel. Scholarship recipients gain a better understanding of other cultures, countries, languages and economies and graduate better prepared to assume leadership roles within government and private sector careers.
Students applying for any academic term must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions)
- Be a Federal Pell Grant recipient or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship
- Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program of at least two weeks for community college students and four weeks for students from four-year institutions, in a single country and eligible for credit from the student's home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement
- Propose to study in a country not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the U.S. Department of State.
Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect, according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.
For more information about the Gilman Scholarship, webinar schedules, and other helpful resources, including subscription to Gilman Advisor Newsletters, please visit the Gilman website.