Fire, Evacuation Drills Scheduled for March 11-12
UHD will be conducting fire/evacuation drills this week on March 11 and 12. During the drills, the fire alarm (visual strobes and audible alarm) will alert occupants that a drill is in progress. Please follow these best practices:
- collect your keys, purse, and/or jacket
- exit your office and close the door behind you (do not lock it)
- calmly proceed toward a stairwell (you do not need to exit the building)
- stay near the stairwell for the duration of the drill (approximately 10-15 minutes)
- do not use the elevators
- once the alarm is silenced and/or you receive a UHD Alert stating the drill has ended, you may return to your offices and activities
- please provide feedback to Emergency Management and report any strobes that are not working and audible alarms and instructions that are not clear
The schedule for the drills are as follows:
Wednesday, March 11
7-7:15 a.m. – Student Life Center
8-8:15 a.m. – College of Sciences and Technology Building
9-9:15 a.m. – Commerce Street Building
Thursday, March 12
7-7:15 a.m. – One Main Building (Floors 7-10)
7:25-7:45 a.m. – One Main Building (Floors 1-3)
7:45-8 a.m. – One Main Building (Floors 4-6)
3:15-3:30 p.m. – Shea Street Building
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) – the second-largest university in Houston – has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates more than 15,000 students; boasts more than 61,000 alumni and offers 45 bachelor’s, nine master’s degree programs and 16 fully online programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service; Sciences & Technology; and University College).
For the fourth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks UHD among universities across the nation for Best Online Criminal Justice Programs (No. 27 and No. 15 for Veterans) and Best Online Bachelor’s Programs.
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. U.S. News ranked the University among Top Performers on Social Mobility and awarded UHD a No. 1 ranking as the most diverse institution of higher education in the southern region of the U.S. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.