Do You Have a Story to Share?
Tell Us About It!
UHD News is all about sharing the best news, information, stories, and events that engage our students, faculty, and staff. If you have an idea or a story that our audience would engage with, we'd love to tell the campus community about it. Fill out this form to start the conversation.
A few things to keep in mind …
Journalists use the five Ws — who, what, when, where, why (and how is good, too) — to structure their stories. Think about your idea in terms of the questions below — it’s a good way to vet whether it’s newsworthy or just something you’d tell your grandmother. When the time comes for us to write the piece, we’ll also ask you for the three SSes — specifics, specifics, specifics.
- Who is the main person the story will be about?
- What is the story? Did you win an award, get published, receive a grant, launch a new service project, want to advertise your cool class for next semester, have a noteworthy event coming up, want to share the amazing road that led you to UHD?
- When is the story taking place?
- Where is the story happening?
- Why does the reader care? Salespeople have long used the abbreviation WIIFM to remind themselves of what makes a good pitch: What’s In It For Me? Ask yourself, Why will readers be interested in this story? What is special, unique, strange, intriguing, captivating, funny, inspiring, uplifting — you get the idea. Pro tip: Think about the stories you like to read and what makes them compelling.
- How did this happen? Events and details around the story that make it real for the reader.
Don’t Forget the Visuals!
Photos, video, and illustrations related to your story will help it come alive. We’ll determine the best visuals to accompany your story after we write it but send us what you have.
Timing Is Everything
Let us know about your idea well in advance – at least three weeks, but a month is better. We’ll evaluate your submission against the newsletter’s content criteria, and if it’s a good fit for UHD News, a writer will contact you to create the story.
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) is the second-largest university in Houston and has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974. As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive, four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates approximately 14,000 students, boasts more than 66,000 alumni, and offers 45 bachelor’s degrees, 12 master’s degrees, and 19 online programs within four colleges: Marilyn Davies College of Business, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Public Service, and College of Sciences and Technology. UHD has one of the lowest tuition rates in Texas.
U.S. News and World Report ranked UHD among the nation’s Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Applied Administration and Best Online Master’s Programs in Criminal Justice, as well as a Top Performer in Social Mobility. The Wall Street Journal/College Pulse ranked UHD one of the best colleges in the U.S. for its 2024 rankings, with notable distinctions: No. 1 for diversity (tied) and No. 3 for student experience. The University is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, a Minority-Serving Institution, and a Military Friendly School. For more information on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit uhd.edu.