COB Meet The Industry Event
Courtesy of the College of Business
Nearly 200 UHD business students attended the fourth annual Meet the Industry event on Friday, Feb. 15, at the College of Business, Shea St. Building, 320 N. Main. The event introduced students to a variety of industries and careers pertaining to finance, business, computer information systems (CIS), supply chain, accounting, insurance and risk management, international business, management and marketing.
The College of Business was delighted to welcome Houston City Controller Ronald Green, Federal Reserve Bank Business Economist Jesse Thompson, Walmart Market Manager Nick Scribner, and Salvex founder and CEO Charlie Wilson as the keynote panelists. This esteemed group discussed the job forecast for Houston and the opportunities in the retail management, finance and entrepreneurial sectors.
Niche panels focused on the career paths and growth trends in specific industries. The morning niche panels included a return of the highly popular Federal Reserve Bank panel, whose speakers discussed careers in accounting, business, CIS, finance, human resources and security. The College of Business' Retail Management and Insurance and Risk Management program directors moderated the panels, introducing students to the rewarding and challenging careers available in these fields.
The afternoon niche panelists from accounting, CIS, finance and supply chain management included:
- Michael Landers, UHY, LLP
- Joseph Britt, Director, Procurement & Contract Administration, Neighborhood Centers Inc.
- Phillip Ellison, MBA, C.P.M., Executive Director, Supply Chain Services Spring Independent School District
- Vivek Dixit, Leadership Partner, Gartner for Enterprise Leaders
- Kanai Patak, Global Data Center Manager, Schlumberger
- Ryan Colburn, President, Regions Bank, Houston
- Debbie Moratto Treasury Manager, Worley Parsons
- David Patches Vice President, Corporate Privates, AIG Asset Management
- Frank Carvelli Commercial Underwriting Manager, BBVA Compass
For more information about the event, visit the website here.