CHSS Presents 9th Annual Gender Conference, April 7
UHD's 9th Annual Gender Conference is Thursday, April 7, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The conference welcome proposals from Houston area undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines for individual papers, panels, poster presentations, visual art presentations, creative writing, or performance art.
Suggested topics include:
- Gender and the body
- Gender rights
- Gender construction and the workplace
- Gender and Sports
- Historical considerations for gender
- Psychology of gender
- Influence of social media on gender acceptance
- Social movements on social media
- Sexual orientation and the law
- Femininity/Masculinity and folk heroes
- Masculinities Studies
- Feminism and equality
- Police brutality and gender (in and out of prison)
- Similarities in the female and male brain
- LGBTQ Issues
- The gender gap in STEM fields
- Gender legislation
- Gender and race
- Negotiating power across genders
- Male identity challenges
- Gender, sex, and marriage equality
All individual presentations should be 10-15 minutes long, and panel presentations will be 45 minutes long. For individual papers, posters, and creative writing pieces, submit a 250-word abstract, including email and phone number. For original artwork and performance art, submit a 250-word artist statement, including email and phone number. For panel presentations of three to four presenters, submit a panel abstract of 450 words or less; include the names and paper titles of each presenter and the email and phone number for the primary contact person.
In addition, they're will be a sign-in sheet for extra credit. Students who attend the conference may receive make-up points for missed quizzes, etc.
Note:All sessions will be held at the University of Houston-Downtown, One Main Street.
This conference is organized by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS). For more information, contact Crystal Guillory at 713-222-5316.