Career Development Center Hosts Successful Job Fair
On Wednesday, March 9, the Career Development Center launched two new public service initiatives: a Nonprofit Job Fair and a presentation by Keynote Speaker, John C. Roberts, from the U.S. Department of State.
Approximately 150 students attended the fair, from all five colleges at UHD. The 27 organizations in attendance spanned a wide variety of public service areas including housing, education, human trafficking, mental illness and engineering. The specific agencies at the fair were:
- Arrow Child & Family Ministries
- Austin Police Department
- City of Houston Public Works & Engineering
- Department of Family and Protective Services
- Down Home Ranch
- Feeding Texas
- Fort Bend County
- Greater Houston Fair Housing Center
- Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services
- Houston Advanced Research Center
- Houston Area Women's Center
- Houston Fire Department
- Houston Independent School District - Apollo 20
- Houston-Galveston Area Council
- Hunger Free Texan
- NAMI National Alliance on Mental Illness Gulf Coast
- Project GRAD Houston
- Relay Graduate School of Education
- Sam Houston Area Council-Council Number 576,
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- University of Houston-Downtown Office of Financial Aid
- University of Houston-Downtown Office of Graduate Admissions,
- U.S. Department of State
- Utility Customer Service
- Volunteer Houston
- Volunteers of America Texas
- YES Prep Public School
Following the job fair, Mr. Roberts addressed 25 students over coffee and cookies, and discussed his career path as well as career opportunities within the U.S. State Department. The conversation was informative and motivational.
Both students and employers found the event to be a great success. Volunteer Houston commented, "We had a great time. UHD students are wonderful and enthusiastic."
Morgan McAllister, a student in the technical communications program at UHD said, "The event was fantastic and heartening to see so many local employers recognize and recruit Gator talent. I am already hearing back from prospective employers and am excited to see what the future will bring."
Another student, who commuted all the way from Sugar Land to attend the event, expressed her thanks and said, "I am hoping to hear back from Volunteer Houston, Project Grad and Houston-Galveston Area Council in regards to possible employment, and I look forward to attending the next nonprofit job fair . At UHD, opportunity is always knocking."
Career Counselor, Wendy Cooper, coordinated the job fair along with the support of the entire Career Development Team. In addition, Dr. Poonam Gulati, Julie Norton and Cora Battle all generously supported both public sector focused events.