Call for Papers for 2014 Gender Conference
The seventh annual UHD Gender Conference is issuing a call for papers. Proposals are due by Friday, March 7, and the conference will be April 4, 2014,
This year's conference theme will be "Gender, Sex and Power." Gender involves social and cultural understandings of sexual difference and the practices and behaviors that support or challenge those understandings. Proposals are welcome from Houston area undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines for individual papers, panels, poster presentations, visual art presentations, creative writing or performance art.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder among female and male soldiers
- Workplace and LGBT anti-discrimination bill
- Black women exercising power
- Depictions of post-industrial gender relations in film
- Similarities in the female and male brain
- Latina/Chicana representations
- The gender gap in STEM fields
- Third Wave feminism
- Gender, race and the 2008 election
- Sexual orientation and the law
- Women in the Diaspora
- Femininity/masculinity and folk heroes
- Gender, sex and marriage equality
All individual presentations will be 10 minutes long and panel presentations will be 40 minutes long. For individual papers, posters and creative writing pieces, submit a 250-word abstract, including email address and phone number. For original artwork and performance art, submit a 250-word artist statement, including email address and phone number. For panel presentations of three to four presenters, submit a panel abstract of 450 words or less; include the names and paper titles of each presenter and the email address and phone number for the primary contact person. All sessions will be held at UHD.
Submit proposals to the conference website at http://www.uhd.edu/gender
For more information, contact Crystal Guillory at firstname.lastname@example.org.