Search for New UHD Provost Begins
By Mike Emery
The search for the University of Houston-Downtown's (UHD) next senior vice president for Academic and Student Affairs and provost has officially begun. A search committee, chaired by DoVeanna Fulton, dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, has been formed and will include the following members:
- Carolyn Ashe, UHD Faculty Senate president and professor of business
- Steven Coy, professor of business
- Edmund Cueva, professor of classics and humanities
- Ermelina G. DeLaVina, associate dean of the College of Sciences and Technology
- Karen Kaser, program chair and senior lecturer for the University College
- Faiza Khoja, associate vice president for Academic Affairs
- Tomikia LeGrande, vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
- Clete Snell, professor of criminal justice and social work
- Nell Sullivan, professor of English
- Vassilios Tzouanas, assistant chair for the College of Sciences and Technology and associate professor.
- Jacob Lipp, director of Corporate Relations, in the Office of Advancement
- Hossein Shahrokhi, associate vice president for Information Technology
- Travis Crone, associate professor of psychology
"The search for our next provost is not an easy task, but I have the utmost confidence in this committee led by Dean Fulton," said UHD Interim President Michael A. Olivas. "It goes without saying that the role of senior vice president for academic and senior affairs and provost is crucial for any higher education institution. Our search committee will work diligently to identify a strong pool of candidates for this very important position."
Ed Hugetz has served as interim senior vice president for academic and student affairs since 2013. Olivas commended him for his leadership and dedication to the institution for the past four years.
"Ed has done a fantastic job here," Olivas said. "His commitment to the University, its faculty and students is immeasurable. He's been part of the leadership team that oversaw our reaccreditation and a new orientation process. I applaud his efforts and am proud to have worked alongside him during my time as interim president."
Updates on the process and the search committee are available on the Provost Search website.