Search Committee for UHD President Named
In a message to the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) community, University of Houston System (UHS) Chancellor Renu Khator shared news Feb. 23 that a selection committee had been appointed for the position of president of UHD.
William A. Staples, president of the University of Houston-Clear Lake, will lead the committee. He and the committee will be assisted by a search firm.
"My expectation is that most of the committee's work will be done during the spring semester, with the hope of filling the position by fall 2016," Khator said.
The chancellor noted that the committee's role is advisory in nature and is charged with (a) developing a strong and diverse pool of candidates, (b) screening eligible applicants, (c) inviting finalists for campus interviews, and (d) providing its assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of each interviewee.
In the email, Khator stated that she has asked the committee to seek input in completing its task. "I request that you please help the committee in creating a strong and diverse pool of candidates by nominating qualified individuals," Khator said. "I have asked the Committee chair to keep you informed about the process and respectfully request that you meet the candidates when invited for interviews. Your input and guidance will help us find a leader who will continue to transform and elevate UHD and the UH System."
Additional members of the committee are as follows:
- José Alvarez, Associate Professor, Social Sciences, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, UHD
- Carolyn Ashe, Professor, Management, Marketing and Business Administration, College of Business and President-Elect, Faculty Senate, UHD
- Debora Evans, Manager of Shipping, Receiving and Mailroom and President, Staff Council, UHD
- Michael Fields, Dean, College of Business, UHD
- Rick Hartley, Executive Director, The 100 Club of Houston
- Edward Hugetz, Interim Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, UHD
- Tomikia LeGrande, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, UHD
- John Locke, President, Student Government Association, UHD
- Hsiao-Ming Wang, Professor, Criminal Justice, College of Public Service, UHD
- Lisa Morano, Professor, Natural Sciences, College of Sciences and Technology, UHD
- Laura Murillo, President and Chief Executive Officer, Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Ryan Pepper, Associate Professor, Mathematics and Statistics, College of Sciences and Technology, and President, Faculty Senate, UHD
- Mary Torres, Director, University Business Services, UHD