Courtesy of John Hudson
Eight members of the UHD powerlifting club team competed individually in the 2013 U.S.A. PowerLifting (USAPL) Aggie Showdown Saturday, Feb. 23, at Texas A&M University. This meet was a qualifier for the USAPL National Collegiate Championships held in April.
UHD came away with five individual championships, two runner-up finishes and one third place finish. Freshman Dorthy Tran not only finished first in the 165 weight class of the Collegiate Division, but also won the overall “Best Lifter” award for women, given to the female lifter who lifts the most weight relative to body weight.
Each competitor performed three lifts: the squat, the bench press and the deadlift. The best of three attempts for each lift are added together for a total score. Individual results are as follows:
- Dorthy Tran – 165 weight class – First Place and Best Female Lifter – 876.3 pounds
- Briana Villarreal – 165 weight class – Second Place – 826.8 pounds
- Ashley Vasquez – 181 weight class – First Place – 848.8 pounds
- Anthony Grimes – 132 weight class – First Place – 1052.7 pounds
- Jonathan Bradfield – 181 weight class – First Place – 1344.8 pounds
- Ilian Rojas – 198 weight class – First Place – 1443.9 pounds
- Jordan Glenn – 198 weight class – Third Place – 1389.0 pounds
- Barry Authenreith – 220 weight class – Second Place – 1278.6 pounds
Congrats lifters on a job well done!