By: Mary Ann Cozza
UHD is partnering with San Jacinto College and Galena Park ISD to host the first annual Symposium on Gerontology – Geriatrics Awareness and Education from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, at San Jacinto College North Campus.
Several UHD faculty members will present lectures during the event’s breakout sessions. They include:
- Greg Getz, professor of sociology, “Bio-Psycho-Social Aspects of Alzheimer’s Disease” and “Conceptualizing the Gerontology Waterfront: Where do we go from here?”
- Dawn McCarty, assistant professor of social work, “Immigration Status, Family Instability & Growing Old: A Triple Threat for Day Laborers in the United States”
- Jeffrey Jackson, associate professor of philosophy, “Aging & Ethics”
- Jerry Johnson, associate professor of biology, “Neutrite Sprouting in the Aging Retina: Implications for Age-Related Vision Loss”
- David Branham, Sr., associate professor of political science, “Baby Boomers in the 21st Century: Evolving Alliances and New Coalitions”
- Heather Goltz, assistant professor of social work, “Health, Aging & Sexuality”
Seats are limited and registration is required. The cost is $20 for professionals and free for students. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call 281-998-6150 x7341.